The research scholarships which may be helpful to the Indian nationals who are overseas candidates doing research in any of the overseas universities can apply for the Ramalingaswami Re-entry fellowship. The granting agency for the above mentioned Ramalingaswami Re-Entry fellowship is the department of Biotechnology (DBT), Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India.
The application procedure starts from the DBT publishing the advertisements about the fellowship on its official website www.dbtindia.nic.in and its official newsletter in BioTech news.
The scholarship amount under this scheme are awarded the ninthly remuneration of INR 75,000 per month (INR 85,000 per month with effect from April 2014).The fellowship is providing the scholars the house rent allowance of Rs.7500. The host institutes will be allowing the accommodation of the fellows. In such cases, the host institutes need not provide house rent allowance.
The research fellows are allowed a contingency grant of 10 lakhs in the first year, 7.50 lakhs for the second year, and 5 lakhs for the third year for the international travel, consumables, minor equipment, engaging manpower and other contingency benefits.
Eligibility criteria for the re-entry scholarship
1. The scientists and candidates who possess or are working areas of biotechnology, life sciences, biotechnology, health care (human and animal), bio-energy, agriculture and veterinary biotechnology are eligible to apply for the scholarship.
2. The candidate should possess an equivalent degree in research line or the PhD degree in life sciences, bioinformatics, agriculture or M.Tech in medicine, engineering or technology etc.
3. The candidates should have an excellent track record with research publications and recognitions.
4. The candidate can only avail fellowship or the salary if the candidate is offered a permanent position through the research fellowship.
5. The researchers who are up to the age of 55 years can apply for the scholarship as on the time of applying for the scholarship.
6. The researchers are required to have extensive research experience for at least three years after the post doctoral research fellowship.
Tenure of the fellowship
The tenure of the fellowship is for five years allowing them to explore the area of research in the research centres. The fellowship is extendable to the next term after an appraisal of the fellow is satisfactory in exceptional cases.
Number of Fellowships
Every year, the fellowships awarded to the candidates are around fifty. The application needs to be submitted to the Ministry before the last date of 31st January, 2014.
How to Apply
The applications may be downloaded from the website and are to be sent by the authority to the address given below.
Department of Biotechnology,
Blok-2, 7*1 Floor, CGO Complex,
New Delhi -110 003.