The G.B. Pant Institute of Himalayan Environment and development (GBPIHED) is inviting six applications from the young promising researchers for the Himalayan Junior Research Fellowship (HJRF) for 2014 intake. The junior research position is for the thematic areas of the Watershed processes and Management (WPM), Biotechnology Application themes (BTA), Socio Economic Development (SED) and Environmental Assessment and management. The positions are four in number, each in one of the mentioned above themes.
The G.B Pant Institute of Himalayan Environment and development (GBPIHED) was established in the year 1988-89 to mark the birth centenary of the Bharat Ratna Pt. Govind Ballabh Pant, to be an autonomous Institute of the Ministry of the Environment and Forests (MoEF), Government of India, which is today classified as an agency to advance scientific knowledge, to evolve strategies in management, demonstrate their knowledge of conservation of natural resources and to ensure environmentally sound development in the entire Indian Himalayan region (HR).
The criteria of eligibility for the junior fellowship are given below.
1. The candidate must possess First class masters degree in Social sciences, Physical, Biological or equivalent degree in any relevant subject or engineering or medicine from a recognised university with a minimum of 60 percentage of aggregate marks.
2. The candidate who has enrolled into M.Sc final examination or the students having 10+2+3 years of the above examination can also apply for the Junior research fellowship under the result awaited category.
Place of Posting
The place of posting for each of the theme categories is given below.
1. Environmental Assessment and management (EAM), Kullu, HP
2. Watershed processes and management (WPM), Garhwal unit, Srinagar, Garhwal.
3. Biotechnology Applications (BTA), Pangthang Sikkim Unit
4. Socio economic development (SED), Itanagar, North East Unit
The candidate must not be more than 28 years old as on the last date of applying for the award of the research fellowship as on the final date of the submission of the application.
The upper age limit of the candidates may be relaxed for the candidates belonging to SC/ST/OBC/Women and physically handicapped applicants.
The scholarship fee for the initial amount of 16,000 rupees (plus HRA) for GATE qualified candidates. The students who are non-GATE are eligible for an amount of 14,000 rupees per month plus HRA.
The fellowship is for the initial two years and is extended to ‘senior research fellowship’ from the junior research fellowship with an evaluation by an expert committee. The total tenure or the duration of the fellowship will not exceed more than 5 years.
How to apply
The applicants are requested to read the annexure given at the official website before applying for the same.
All applications duly filled in the prescribed format should be super-scribed with the ‘Application for GBPIHED – Himalayan Junior Research Scholarship’ on top of the envelope application form and sent to Administrative Officer, G.B. Pant Institute of Himalayan Environment and Development, Kosi- Katarmal, Almoha – 263643,Uttarakhand on or before 7th July , 2014.